With Informed Delivery, you can see when your stimulus check has been mailed.
How do you know when, or even if, your coronavirus stimulus check is coming in the mail? You have a few ways. Maybe you went to the IRS website to track the payment (here's how) , and saw a message that it's been sent via US mail. Or if you're eligible to receive a payment of up to $1,200 from the US government but haven't set up direct deposit with the IRS (there may still be time to do that), then your check could arrive by post. Or perhaps you ran into problems with the portal and gave up and are now just waiting for your paper check to be mailed by the IRS.
Whichever case, you now know your stimulus money is coming, but not when. To find out, you can use the US Postal Service's mail-tracking app and service known as Informed Delivery to see when your check is scheduled to arrive.
When the Postal Service runs mail through its automated mail sorting equipment, it creates a digital image of the front of all letter-size mail. The Informed Delivery program uses this digitally captured information to notify you when each piece of mail is on the way.
The service is available to many residential and personal PO box addresses but not businesses. It also won't work for some multiunit buildings where the postal service hasn't yet identified each unit.
Here's how to check whether it's available in your area.
1. Head to the Postal Service's Informed Delivery page and tap the Sign Up for Free button.
2. Enter your mailing address, and tap Continue.
If the service is available, you can continue to set up an account.
If you're eligible, here's how to set up your account.
1. On the Postal Service's Informed Delivery page, if you haven't yet, tap Sign Up for Free .
2. After you enter your mailing address and confirm it's in the service, accept the terms and conditions and tap Continue .
3. On the next page, choose your username, password and security questions; enter your contact information; and then tap Continue .
4. On the next page, you'll need to verify your identity. Tap Verify identity online if you want to receive a verification code on your phone or tap Request invitation code by mail if you want the postal service to mail a code to you. If neither method works for you, may also be given the option to visit a post office to verify your identity in person.
The IRS said it can take three business days to activate your account after you set it up. Once it's live, you will receive an email each morning Monday through Saturday, notifying you of mail scheduled to be delivered along with a grayscale image of the front of the letter.
You can also use the free Android and iPhone Informed Delivery app to be notified.
For more on ordering and receiving packages during the coronavirus pandemic, here's how to find household goods when Amazon and other online stores are out of stock , how to order beer and wine online , and how long the virus can survive on packages .
First published on May 4, 2020 at 3:49 p.m. PT.
Drive.land is a unique app devoted to cars and their owners. Here you can buy or sell a car, read reviews, watch funny dash cam videos and even find life hacks about car care. We also have a feed with news about cars and new model previews.